A PICTORIAL TOUR OF WEST UNION, IA


A PICTORIAL TOUR OF MY HOMETOWN

FOR PAST FEW SEASONS, STEEL GUITARIST LEFTY SCHRAGE has been spending his winters in southern Texas. He not only escapes the brutal winters here in the Upper Midwest but his musical talents are in great demand down there in the Valley of Texas. There he performs countless shows with various groups and also enjoys the camaraderie of his many winter-season friends.

Just before he headed south this season, he offered to let me borrow his brand-new Nikon camera over the winter. It didn't take much arm twisting for me to respond with a great big "Yes" as his camera's model is one that I've had my eye on for quite some time!

So I decided to start an online photo blog to keep Lefty apprised of my progress with his camera. I'd take pictures and then post them on the blog along with random notes regarding lighting conditions, camera settings, etc.

Now that Lefty is back in Iowa, I figured it was time to return the camera. But first I wanted to do one, final photo shoot. I'd been waiting for a nice spring day, and yesterday (4/23) was just that day. I dusted off my bike, grabbed the camera and took off on a 2-hour bike ride around my hometown, West Union, Iowa.

I took a series of arbitrary shots - landmarks, buildings and miscellaneous things that I though might be of interest to former West Union residents who've long since moved away. Plus the beautiful weather allowed me to get some shots utilizing natural light to further put Lefty's Nikon through its paces - a great way to finish up my photo blog!

So for all you photo buffs, former West Union residents and/or anyone simply interested in seeing what my hometown looks like, here are five pages of photos. Just click on the water tower (above) to get started.

Incidentally this photo blog is actually eight pages long, but I've temporarily disabled the links to pages 1-3. Those three pages are simply test photos of branches, trees and limbs and a few Christmas shots - basically just testing different camera settings. Borrring - except to the most ardent shutterbug!

Hey Lefty, welcome back to Iowa and thanks for loaning me your camera!

Comments

Popular Posts