GOOD-BYE FATS!

Antoine "Fats" Domino
(February 26, 1928 – October 24, 2017)

DEAR FRIENDS . . .
 
 
I RECEIVED AN EMAIL from my good friend and fellow musician, Erik Berg, today. The subject line read: "Ain't That a Shame." Erik wrote:
 

Doug,
I was sorry to hear of Fats' passing yesterday and immediately thought of you. 89 is a long time to live by golly, especially for one who sang about himself as "The Fat Man".

Here's to you Fats, up there on good ol' Blueberry Hill.
Erik

 

A succinct, yet poignant tip of the hat to the great Antoine "Fats" Domino.

Fats Domino certainly was a great influence on me. His right hand pounded out those signature triplets on just about every song. And his band always had a great sax section supporting Fats' roiling, Louisiana rock 'n blues!

Selling more records than Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard combined, the only artist to outsell Fats in the '50s was Elvis!

I genuinely teared up when I'd read the news. It's like losing a gentle, old mentor.

Expect to hear a lot of Fats Domino in our upcoming shows! 

KEEPIN' THOSE TRIPLETS GOING! | DOUG KOEMPEL

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2017 | the MEMORY BROTHERS

Comments

Popular Posts