DO YOU GUYS PRACTICE?

UPDATING MEMORY BROS. REPERTOIRE
(and even getting some practice in!)

 
DEAR FRIENDS,

"DO YOU GUYS EVER PRACTICE?"
 I've heard that question a time or two.

So then I wonder whether the questioner is simply curious, or is he or she trying to tell me something!?

In a musician's world, the word "practice" can mean a couple of different things:
  • Polishing up technique, e.g., working on scales and/or dexterity on one's given instrument - including voice.
 
  • Getting together "with the band" and working up new songs, double-checking chords and/or fine-tuning vocals and harmonies.

Both types of practice should be done regularly to maintain one's "chops" and to keep the band's repertoire fresh and updated. Unfortunately when you're a working band, you oftentimes don't have the luxury of a lot of extra time to devote to practice.
"Are you kidding??!! You should have plenty of free time - all you musicians do is play music for a couple hours each night!"

Well, surprise surprise! Let me give you a quick peek into a typical weekday of a full-time musician.

My routine consists of getting up around 10:00 AM (I know, I know - but wait 'til you hear what time I go to bed!) I check email, pay bills and do correspondence until about 11:30 AM. Then . . .
  • 11:30 AM - take a shower and read two newspapers.
  • Noon - check mail and deliveries > brush the kitties > eat > watch the news (I give Fox News, CNN and MSNBC equal time!)
  • 1:00 PM - make & return phone calls and/or run local errands.
  • 2:00-4:00 PM - work on website and/or schedule > do graphics & outline for newsletter > work on music and/or studio projects.
  • 4:00 PM - Whoaa! Drop everything! It's time to head out to a gig.
  • 6:00 PM - arrive at gig > haul in and set up equipment.
  • 7:00 PM - start playing
  • 9 PM or 10 PM - end gig > tear down equipment > load up equipment
  • 10 PM or 11 PM - head for home
  • Midnight (or later) - arrive home
  • 1:00 AM - eat and watch some TV
  • 2:00 AM - tie up loose ends in studio > respond to email
  • 3:00 AM - read
  • 4:00 AM - hit the sack.
Tolerant Tammy

Oh yes, and isn't there a gal by the name of Tammy who I also somehow fit into this crazy schedule??!!

Actually her calendar is as crammed (if not more so) than mine. So fortunately she's quite understanding and has patiently tolerated my frenetic routine for 18 years now!

SO HERE WE ARE IN JANUARY 2018, and I've suddenly found myself with a little more free time than usual. You'll notice the band listings are conspicuously sparse compared to the usual Memory Brothers' calendar - partly by design and partly due to recent venue closings and dance cancellations.

I'm enjoying this "breather," but ironically I find my days filling up with busywork as much or even more so than when the band schedule was hectic. This must be what retirement feels like. All those people who say, "I'm busier now than I was before!"

Nevertheless, I've been using this "free time" to good advantage in that I've been working on some new booking prospects (which you'll be hearing about soon) and yes, I've been working up some new material and even practicing!

So for all those who are curious, I guess the answer would be: "Yes. Yes I do practice . . . occasionally!"

Comments

Popular Posts