THE PERFECT SONG?

The "PERFECT" Song?
click above to hear Ed Sheeran perform his mega-hit, "Perfect."

OCCASIONALLY A SONG COMES ALONG that captures the fancy of the public. Songs such as "Happy," "Uptown Funk," "Despacito," "Girl Crush" and "Ex's And Oh's" are good examples.

But there's a new kid in town, and that kid's name is Ed Sheeran. His song "Perfect" has captured the hearts of at least 900,000,000 YouTube listeners!

I started getting requests for "Perfect" about 3 months ago. I'd never heard it. Or if I had, it literally had gone in one ear and out the other. So I found it on YouTube and gave it a listen. And I listened . . . and I listened again.

Should I spend the time necessary to work up this song? Hmmmm. . . nearly a billion YouTube listeners can't be wrong!

I'm very careful as to what songs I add to the Memory Brothers' repertoire. The songs we do must have a broad appeal because of the wide range of ages we play for. Another one of my criteria is that the song has got to have "legs." In other words, it's got to be something we can do three or four years from now and still appeal our followers. So that rules out most "fad" and "novelty" songs.

After finally deciding to sit down at the keyboard with the lyrics and spending a little time with "Perfect," I soon realized that this song is quite challenging. The phrasing is deceptively difficult, and the vocal range (distance from lowest to highest note) is very wide. Ed Sheeran makes it sound easy and relaxed. So I knew I had my work cut out for me to even come close to pulling this off live.

So it was practice, practice, practice and listen, listen, listen!

I've now performed it probably five or six times, and it's come off really well. I get a lot of: "What was that song?" "Who does that song?" "I've never heard that song - I like it."

So to my great relief, it's been received well. During the learning process - besides being a bit daunted by the difficulty factor - I was also concerned that the song might be a little too contemporary and possibly too ballad-y for our dancers; but those concerns were definitely unfounded as the dance floor fills up quickly for "Perfect."

So I guess the bottom line is that it just might be a "perfect" song; and sometimes it's good to step out of one's comfort zone!

Comments

Popular Posts