ELVIS MEMORIES

ELVIS MEMORIES
Click above to listen to the Elvis tribute "Rock On And On And On"
 
MY DEAR FRIEND BUDDY MICHAEL way out in North Carolina tunes in to Jeanne Grebin's live, Memory Brothers' webcast every Wednesday night. He posts Facebook comments in real-time and occasionally requests a song or two.

Bud's latest request was "Rock On And On And On" - a song I hadn't performed in years . . . hmmmm, maybe decades!

Nevertheless I do vividly remember the day that I wrote it. It was August 16, 1977. How do I remember that specific date? Well, it was the day that Elvis died.

Kevin Conner and I were starting the second week of a two-week stint at the Black Steer in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. In the late afternoon, I was backing out of my parking spot at the Maple Manor Motel in my old, Chrysler station wagon.

I had intended to get a quick bite at Chau Hong's Restaurant before we had to head to the club when it came over the radio:

"Here is a news bulletin. 42-year-old singer Elvis Presley has died at Baptist hospital in Memphis . . ."

Stunned, I sat in my wagon and listened to the rest of the shocking news. I then slowly pulled back into my parking space, headed to my room and grabbed a pencil and a sheet of motel stationery.

With my appetite suddenly extinguished, a pall suddenly descended on my otherwise cheery, summer day. The only thing I could think of doing was to start writing a tribute to my great musical hero, Elvis Presley.
 
* * *

At the time, I had just been recruited as a new artist for an old country label, Chart Records out of Nashville. Chart Records had been floundering during the '70s as many of its major artists such as Roy Clark and Lynn Anderson had defected to larger labels. So the new owner of Chart, Big Jack Rodamaker, recruited a bunch of newcomers such as Billy Cole, Billy Brown, Yvonne DeVaney, Steve Bledsoe, Holly Holiday and myself as new artists in an attempt to resuscitate the label.

Chart Records' producer, Arnold Rogers, had been looking for a song for me to record for my debut single with the label. So I called Big Jack and told him about my Elvis tribute. The week after our Eau Claire gig, he flew me to Nashville; and we recorded this song using an all-star lineup of musicians including D.J. Fontana, Elvis's original drummer!

The single went out to 3,000 radio stations along with promotional inserts and comment cards (see below.) Most of the responses from the music directors were good, and we received considerable airplay. However, we soon found out that there were certain radio stations that didn't take kindly to Elvis tributes as they felt the tributes were trying to cash in on the King's death!

When the dust settled and it all got sorted out, the tribute that became a million seller was Ronnie McDowell's "The King Is Gone" which was recorded in the same studio, Music City Recorders, using the same session players as I had. But their release beat me to the punch by one week!

At that time Ronnie McDowell was an unknown singer who released "The King Is Gone" on Slim Williams' indie label, Scorpion Records - a one-room record label hardly bigger than a broom closet - right down the hall from Chart Records' office.

"The King Is Gone" went on to sell over 5,000,000 copies and launched a 30-year recording career for Ronnie that included four #1 records, "Older Women," "In A New York Minute," "You're Gonna Ruin My Bad Reputation" and "All Tied Up."

(For some fascinating background on Slim Williams, Ronnie McDowell and "The King Is Gone," click here.)

In 1980 I was invited to one of Ronnie's recording sessions at Music City Recorders by studio owner Jack Logan. I found Ronnie to be a very humble and amiable fellow.
 
* * *

Nonetheless, the whole Elvis tribute experience back in 1977, along with my first real record release, is still a very special chapter in my life with lots of fond (and some bittersweet) memories.

Comments

Popular Posts