D.J. FONTANA


D.J. FONTANA PASSED AWAY peacefully in his sleep last Wednesday at age 87. He was Elvis's original drummer and was known for his rock-steady yet spartan technique on the trap set - simplicity interspersed with brilliance, e.g. "Hound Dog," "Don't Be Cruel," "Jailhouse Rock," "Latest Flame," etc.

He was Elvis's drummer for 14 years playing on all the big hits eventually leaving the King in 1969. At that time he moved to Nashville and became a session player - and that's where I first met him.

I was privileged to have worked with him in 1975 when I recorded my first album, Sayin' Good-bye, my first 45 single, Dream River, and then again in 1977 on my tribute to Elvis, Rock On And On And On.

During my very first recording session at Music City Recorders, I honestly didn't know who he was. In the control room during playback, engineer Jack Logan leaned towards me and nodded towards D.J. who was still at the drum set in the studio and said:

"Son, do you know who that guy is?"

I said, "No."

"That's Elvis's drummer!"

I remember D.J. as being a very humble, soft-spoken guy with a great sense of humor - absolutely no pretense or ego.

Good-bye to D.J. Fontana. It was an honor to have crossed musical paths with one of rock 'n roll's greatest drummers!

Comments

Popular Posts