DOUG GOES KA-BOOM!!

DOUG GOES KA-BOOM!!


IMAGINE HAVING YOUR ARMS DUCT TAPED to your sides and then taking a face-plant onto a wet sidewalk. That's essentially what happened to me last Tuesday night while loading equipment after the gig in Mabel, Minnesota.

The dance itself was a great time. With ace musicians, Keith Zeller and Erik Berg, we were a-rockin' and a-rollin' to a packed house. It was a fun show, and a good time was had by all.

But the real show was yet to happen!

When we do a Memory Brothers LARGE Band gig, there's always a lot of extra gear that needs to be set up and tore down. So at the end of last Tuesday's performance, I found myself rushing to get stuff loaded up. I had a 50 lb. amp in my right hand and something else in my left hand (I don't even remember for sure,) and my fingers were wrapped tightly around the carrying straps – so when, in my haste, I stubbed my toe and pitched forward onto the sidewalk, I was unable to extricate my hands to catch myself.

Ka-BOOM! My face and right arm/shoulder was the first to strike the concrete!

I had the strangest, slow-motion thought as I was falling and then hitting the ground: “This reminds me of when I was 9 years old and used to wipe out on my bicycle!”

The only difference was, when I was 9 years old, I'd essentially bounce upon impact. I'd put a couple band aids on my skinned elbows & knees and then get right back on the bike.
But Tuesday night after my stumble, my whole right side turned numb; and I knew I'd probably done some major damage. Keith helped me up.

“Are you all right?!”

I replied, “I don't know.”

I staggered back into the club and instinctively continued packing up equipment but soon realized my right arm and hand weren't cooperating. I remember hearing Erik ask the bartender for an ice pack. And both Keith and Erik - seeing that I was obviously incapacitated - pitched in like troopers, and we were out of there a little after 10 pm – my normal departure time.

With the ice pack on my right forearm, I drove directly to the ER in Decorah, Iowa. They cleaned me up, took x-rays and gave me a compression splint. I was in and out by midnight. (Winneshiek Medical Center's ER is the best!)

The ER doc said he didn't see any broken bones but that the radiologist would review the x-rays the next day and give me a call if he noticed anything suspicious.

It's now been a couple days since the fall and no message from the radiologist, so I figure I'll probably survive. But I do feel like I've been put through the proverbial “wringer!” My main concern now is whether I'll be able to pull off this weekend's gigs – time will tell!

A nagging thought I've had for the past few years has been, “As I'm getting older, I wonder if and when there'll ever be a time when I'll stumble or somehow get injured carrying equipment.”

I guess I found out, and I guess I'm going to have to slow down and be more careful in the future! I've got to keep reminding myself: Unlike when I was a kid, at age 68 I don't bounce anymore!
(A big thanks to all the well-wishers, Erik & Keith, the crew at Winneshiek Medical Center and to those who've expressed concern via emails and Facebook.)
RIGHT BEFORE I BIT THE SIDEWALK!
MEMORY BROS LARGE BAND • 5/21/19 - Mabel, MN
Video courtesy Gwen Shepherd
MISSED IT? CLICK TO VIEW

Comments

Popular Posts