EXORCISING A BEARD TRIMMER


LAST SUNDAY NIGHT I decided to hit the sack early (by my standards) around 1:00 AM. I'd been putting in some long hours working on the new album, and I figured I'd get a good night's sleep so I could be up and at 'em early Monday morning.

The second my head hit the pillow I was out like a light. The next thing I knew I was jolted awake by what sounded like a muffled alarm clock. It was kind of a buzzing sound.

I looked at the red display of my bedside clock. It was 2:00 AM.

I'd been out so soundly that I still felt half-asleep as I tried to collect my thoughts. I flipped on the light and with half-open eyes scanned around the room until my eyes landed on my portable beard trimmer (yes, I actually trim my beard on rare occasions.) It's about the size of a small flashlight, and there it was - spontaneously buzzing away on my dresser.

I picked it up and pressed the on/off button. Nothing. I pushed it again. Still nothing. The unit continued its aggravating buzzzzz. After about five minutes of working the on/off switch, I simply couldn't get it to turn off.

This unit is a cordless Norelco, trimmer powered by a rechargeable lithium battery. The battery is concealed within the unit with no obvious way to open up the case to disable the battery. So I grabbed a screwdriver and pried off the cover over the on/off switch. I figured maybe I could unstick the switch or somehow disable it.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

I poked and prodded the contact beneath the switch cover with my screwdriver . . .

It continued to mock me. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

I sharply smacked the unit on the edge of the desk several times.

Buzzzzzzzzzzz!

In my groggy stupor I thought, "I could just put it in the other room and let it buzz until it runs out of juice."

But then I thought that with that powerful lithium battery, it could possibly overheat and maybe catch fire.

Aha! I'll drop it in a bucket of water and short it out. It might ruin the trimmer; but it was three years old and at $29, I could just buy another one at Walmart.

So I slogged out into the kitchen with this droning annoyance in tow. I found a suitable plastic container and filled it with water. I bade farewell to my trusty old trimmer as I plopped it into the water. Submerged, it relentlessly continued with a muted: buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I looked at the clock, it was 2:45 AM. I'd been monkeying with this taunting device for 45 minutes! I'd had enough! I grabbed it, ran out into the breezeway and threw it as hard as I could onto the driveway!

The impact immediately silenced the thing! It took a big bounce and landed in the front lawn. I stood motionless for a minute . . . Silence.

Relieved, I turned and walked back into the house and figured I'd retrieve it the next day and toss it into the trash. I headed straight for bed and slept the rest of the night like a baby!

The next day I headed to the front lawn to retrieve the little monster. And would you believe it? With nary a scratch from its violent jolt to the concrete, it had now started up again - what had been an irritating buzz now replaced by a soft, plaintive humming. It was still alive!

I must admit I felt a little bad as I cracked open the case, removed the battery and tossed the trimmer into the trash. It had been a good old beard trimmer before it became possessed . . .

. . . and extreme measures had to be taken!

Comments

Popular Posts