IS WIZENED REALLY A WORD?

Dan and Sheila are conspiring to drive Doug mad!

gas·light
/ˈɡaslīt/

verb
  1. manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.
     

DAN AND SHEILA and I were discussing the record producer David Foster a couple days ago when Dan said, “Foster sure had a wizened appearance in that documentary on Netflix.”

I said, “What? 'WHEEZE-end'?”

“Yes, wizened.”

Perplexed, I replied, “Is that even a word?”

Both Dan and Sheila looked at me surprised and nodded their heads in unison. “You've never heard the word 'wizened'?”

I looked at Sheila, “You're familiar with this word?”

She quickly replied, “Sure, like a wizened hag.” [she pronounced it differently than Dan, “WHIZ-end” as opposed to Dan's “WHEEZE-end.”]

And then she proceeded to look up the definition for me on her smartphone.

wiz·ened
/  WHIZ·end or WHEEZE·end /

adjective

  1. shriveled or wrinkled with age.


“Wizened??!!” Had I been absent the day in 3rd grade English when Miss Wiekamp taught us that word??!!

Dan and Sheila both continued to look at me with that incredulous, half-smile look like “Really? You're putting us on. That word is as common as 'dog' or 'flower'!”

So, is it just me or is “wizened” an uncommon adjective? And might my friends, Dan and Sheila, be closet logophiles who are trying to gaslight me!?

Subscriber poll: Have you ever heard the term “wizened”? yes or no.

Comments

Popular Posts