Chance Encounter with Glen Campbell

 

DID ANYONE EVER TELL YOU THAT YOU LOOK LIKE . . .
OVER THE YEARS I, along with several of my Memory Brothers' partners, have been told we remind folks of certain celebrities.

Back in the '80s, Larry Crandall constantly got "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Glenn Campbell?" Without missing a beat, Larry would quip, "I wish I had his money!"

Around that same time period, Kevin Conner was frequently told that he reminded people of Kenny Rogers (and it didn't hurt that Kevin had Kenny's vocal style down pat.)

And then in the late '90s/early 2000s when I worked a lot with John Condon (of the Buck Hollow Band), he was constantly besieged by the ladies, mistaking him for Brad Pitt.

 
When Mike Williams and I were on the road in the early '90s, he was always being compared to Steve Wariner. Not only did Mike resemble him, but his blazing guitar style was every bit as good as Wariner's.
 
I should really have an identity crisis, as I've been a doppelganger to Elvis (in my 30s,)
Richard Gere (in my 40s,) Michael McDonald (in my 50s); and by the time I hit my 60s, they told me I looked like the "old" Burton Cummings (of the Guess Who.)

To quote an old friend of mine, "I just wish I had their money!"


* * *

A LITTLE SIDE NOTE regarding Glen Campbell: In June of 1984, my mother and I were sitting in the Little Rock airport when she poked me in the side and whispered, "Look over there. It's Glen Campbell!"

About 15 feet from us, I saw a bearded fellow sprawled out in his chair, semi-napping, with a garment bag on his lap. I said, "That's not Glen Campbell."

"Is too!!"

"Glen Campbell doesn't have a beard," I whispered.

"I tell you - that's Glen Campbell!!"

A few more minutes went by with my mother's gaze fixed intently on this gentleman. Eventually, a lady announced over the intercom, "All first class passengers may now board at this time."

The fellow stood up, threw his garment bag over his shoulder and at once a volley of flashbulbs went off (remember, this was long before smart phones.) He briskly walked down the ramp to board the plane.

"Told you so!!"

A few minutes later, the rest of us in coach boarded. As my mother and I walked down the narrow aisle of the plane, we passed right by Glen who was seated by the window in the very last row of first class.

Our seats were across the aisle in the first row of coach—catty-corner from Glen just a few feet away.

My mother continued to keep her eyes glued to him while nudging me in the ribs, "Should I go over and ask him for his autograph??!!"

"No, just let the man be."

"I'm gonna get his autograph!" She pushed past me, took two steps down the aisle and plopped down right next to him.

I sank in my seat and cringed.

I couldn't hear what they were talking about, but they had quite an animated conversation going. At one point my mother loudly announced, "Yes, my son is an entertainer too!" And both she and Glen turned their heads around and stared directly at me.

I timidly nodded and immediately sank further into my seat!

They continued visiting until a flight attendant ushered dear old Mom back to her seat as the plane was ready for take off.

As my mother plopped down next to me, she excitedly waved a napkin with Glen Campbell's autograph on it: "To Alice, Enjoyed our visit - Best Always, Glen Campbell"

All the way back to Chicago, I heard: "He was just so nice—sooo nice! Such a nice, polite man . . . such a nice man!"

* * *

In June of 1984, Doug's mother, Alice, snapped
these photos of Glen on boarding ramp to plane.

Campbell signs an autograph.
.
Campbell on way to first class seating.
Alice would later chat with him on plane.

Comments

Popular Posts